When the muffin top starts to appear, it’s time to reevaluate whether that daily morning muffin may be wreaking havoc with your waistline. The team at Eat This, Not That! came up with a list of foods you should banish from your pantry once you’ve reached the age of 30.
- Canned soup. While some brands of soup cut back on sodium most canned varieties have a whopping 40% of our daily recommended intake of 2,300 milligrams. Too much sodium is linked to high blood pressure and researchers at the prestigious Cambridge University found a link between high blood pressure and skin aging. Not only that, many cans contain BPA, a chemical that has been linked to cancer and weight gain. Tip: Make your own hearty and low-sodium soups from scratch.
- Diet Mountain Dew and Fresca. Don’t let the pale hue fool you. These soft drinks are even more harmful to your health than other sodas because they are colored with brominated vegetable oil, a chemical used in rocket fuel. Dietitian Isabel Smith R.D. says that BVO can cause weight gain and infertility. Tip: Try flavoring plain soda or seltzer water with lime or lemon juice.
- Fruit flavored yogurt. There’s a whopping 22 grams of sugar in Dannon’s Fruit on the Bottom 6-ounce cup of yogurt. That’s a whole day’s worth of sugar that is known to accelerate aging and wrinkling of the skin. Tip: Eat plain Greek yogurt with fresh berries.
- Veggie burgers. Despite that hoopla that going meatless is good for your health, experts say that our bodies need more vitamin B12 as we age. It helps support bone health, reduces your risk of macular degeneration, and may even reduce your risk of dementia because this crucial vitamin supports brain health by preventing the loss of neurons. Tip: Go for grass-fed beef, which is rich in B12 and omega-3 fatty acids that cut your risk of heart disease.
- Bacon. Crispy, crunchy, and utterly delicious bacon for breakfast and in your BLT spells disaster for your skin and heart. Bacon contains 68% saturated fat that causes inflammation, which contributes to aging skin and heart disease. Tip: Try turkey bacon that’s lower in calories and fat.
- Cocktails and beer. As we age, our bodies don’t metabolize alcohol as efficiently says registered dietitian Martha McKittrick. “It’s also increasingly difficult to get a good night’s rest with alcohol in your system. While you may have been able to get away with minimal sleep in your 20s, that’s not the case in your 30s and beyond,” she tells “Eat This, Not That!” Alcohol also dehydrates your skin, making fine lines and wrinkles more visible. Tip: Sip a wine spritzer.
- Anything with a straw. Sipping through a straw causes premature aging because you are repetitively pursing your lips, making lip lines and wrinkles. And these lines become more obvious as you age. Tip: Bottoms up!
© 2019 NewsmaxHealth. All rights reserved.